[OSM-talk] UK, Cardiff and Edinburgh, change capital=yes to capital=4

Nick Whitelegg Nick.Whitelegg at solent.ac.uk
Fri Feb 4 11:49:39 GMT 2011

>yes, but I was talking about political reality. According to this page
>(and not only):
>http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Admin_level

>they are admin_level=4 entities, while capital=yes stands for admin_level=2.

Sorry, meant to send this to the list, really fed up of my mail client always sending it to the sender :-(

If they aren't counted as national capitals surely it should be 3 anyway, as surely England, Wales and Scotland are the *immediate* next level down from the UK. Group 4 seems to be for entities like the French regions, which (as far as I'm aware) have significantly less national identity than either Wales or Scotland. A "group 4" entity in the UK would be something like "Northern England" or "the West Country" as (I'd guess) those are roughly culturally equivalent to French regions.

Nick