[OSM-talk] (magical?) road detector

Ido Omer Ido.Omer at microsoft.com
Sat Feb 5 23:57:42 GMT 2011

Hi Elizabeth,

Like in any interesting problem, we knew we will not be able to come up with a general solution for all roads under any condition.
We assume most people are mapping asphalt/concrete roads and we decided to focus our efforts there.
Eve there our solution is far from being perfect, but we believe in most circumstances it has a value that is larger than zero.
Strictly speaking, the current version doesn't look for road patterns; the next version might do that and provide a more general solution.
It will be useful for us to learn what the community needs are; I'll be happy if you could refer me to a few examples.

BTW, by not using the detector its usefulness should be around zero, it is hard for me to imagine how can it drop much lower than that (at least for the long run, after you wasted a couple of minutes and found out it does not serve your needs)

Thanks,
Ido