[OSM-talk] (magical?) road detector

Thibault North tnorth at fedoraproject.org
Sun Feb 6 03:26:56 GMT 2011

On February 5, 2011 09:59:24 pm David Murn wrote:
> On Sat, 2011-02-05 at 21:47 -0500, Anthony wrote:
> > On Fri, Feb 4, 2011 at 1:59 PM, Ido Omer <Ido.Omer at microsoft.com> wrote:
> > > I am a researcher at Microsoft and I am currently working on the road
> > > detector.
> >
> > Hi Ido.  The code to the road detector isn't at all open, is it?
>
> Unlikely.  If it was, and people could tweak patches for the bugs they
> find in their situation, it would probably be working 100-fold better
> than the current closed-source version, even after only a week.

Well, there is no guarantee that it would work much better (various different
and often unrelated problems will be hard to fix by tuning the algorithm, at
least speaking of the current approach), but at least we could come up with
something more flexible with ideas (and patches) of many people.

Shortest-path algorithms are a very common thing, and we are free to try our
own implementation. (Or pick any. I already mentioned mine in this thread. We
can for sure get better results than Bing implementation)
I don't know much about OSM internals, but it someone want to start something,
please CC me.

Thibault