[OSM-talk] What the license change is going to do to the map

Mike N niceman at att.net
Wed Feb 9 22:05:36 GMT 2011

On 2/9/2011 4:01 PM, Josh Doe wrote:
> I would like to say that I'm surprised no one has created a tool yet
> to simulate what a given area would look like after the switchover
> given the current (or simulated) list of users that have agreed to the
> new terms.

   It wouldn't hurt to create such a tool at any time, but the results
are not meaningful until after (as I understand it) the general notice
goes out to users who have neither accepted or rejected the terms.
There are a many users who have contributed in the past but have become
inactive and know nothing about OSM license term changes.

   A final appreciation will be shown to past contributors who have
since died or abandoned their OSM email account; their contribution will
be removed.   I understand why, but that's the way it is.