[OSM-talk] collateral damage (was: What the license change is going to do to the map)

Anthony osm at inbox.org
Thu Feb 10 13:28:23 GMT 2011

On Thu, Feb 10, 2011 at 8:20 AM, Anthony <osm at inbox.org> wrote:
> Here's what happened.  Grand plaza was mapped as one single building.
> I deleted that one building in order to map it as 3 separate
> buildings, because that's essentially what it is (3 buildings, with a
> shared roof/awning/whatever).  So when the reversion took place, the 3
> buildings were deleted completely).

Basically, the same thing that happened with Ehrlich Road, which was a
single road which I deleted to change into a dual carriageway.

This kind of stuff is going to happen constantly once you start
mass-deleting tens of thousands of accounts.  That's why the deletion
strategy needs to be set long long long before people are required to
decide whether or not to approve the switch.

This is something I've been saying for a long time, but I'm glad it
has finally been shown rather than just said.  The deletion of one
single user who didn't even edit that much, cascades through an entire
map (some of which has been fixed, but y'all have a *lot* more to go).

Maybe the 1,500 year plan is the way to go.  It could always be sped
up as y'all get better at cleaning up from the big mess you're making.