[OSM-talk] Path with Pit Stops

Gregory nomoregrapes at googlemail.com
Fri Feb 11 22:43:00 GMT 2011

On 11 February 2011 19:30, Elizabeth Dodd <edodd at billiau.net> wrote:

> On Fri, 11 Feb 2011 19:33:52 +0100
> Esben Stien <b0ef at esben-stien.name> wrote:
> > Imagine a salesman, who has to visit 10 locations. Is there some
> > software that can assist me in visiting these 10 locations the
> > smartest and shortest way?.
> >
> > Any pointers?.
>
> There would be thousands of solutions to this puzzle, as it is a task
> usually given to Computer Science students in the first year of their
> course.
>
> Actually I got in the 2nd year of my ugrad Computer Science course.
I like to remind people it is impossible* to solve** the travelling salesman
for even 10 cities without spending several years of computer processing.

*impossible, well nobody has an algorithm yet, thought they would be amazing
and mega rich instantly. I guess some people might be working on it.
**solve, be sure that you have the smartest/shortest way.

The solutions/algorithms that are used make good attempts, and some will
give you a result as good as you would choose manually so don't worry too
much.

--
Gregory
osm at livingwithdragons.com