[OSM-talk] 12nm territorial borders - useful or rubbish?

M∡rtin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Mon Feb 14 16:44:38 GMT 2011

2011/2/14  <edodd at billiau.net>:
>>>  I've been thinking about the 12nm territorial borders on sea that
>>> we have in many places, notably in Europe. Many of them seem to have
>>> been auto-generated by simply placing a buffer around the coastline.
>>>
>>> My first question is, do they really have legal significance? They

they do have legal significance (the original nautical
borders/territorial waters, usually 12 nautic miles, sometimes more as
stabilized in international treaties)

> 1) are the sources of the lines marked?

I agree that if you imported them from a reliable source and you are
sure you did all the transformations correctly, you should mark the
source in the changeset comment, so the information is stored in the
db.

> 2) are the positions of the lines rated as to certainty?
> 3) how would a mapper reviewing them decide where to work next?

IMHO he'd better not touch them unless he is sure. It's the same as
with every border: hard to see on the ground, but useful to have in
the db

> 4) should they be rendered in mapnik?

IMHO yes, but that's up to the style sheet maintainer

> 5) should they be in a file formatted for garmin users?

this can be decided by who creates the garmin map

> 6) how do we communicate the accuracy to garmin users?

like we do it with all other stuff. Of course you shouldn't rely on
them when their exact position is mission critical.

Cheers,
Martin