[OSM-talk] Underground / hovering buildings

Robin Paulson robin.paulson at gmail.com
Mon Feb 14 21:37:01 GMT 2011

On 15 February 2011 10:26, Andrew Guertin <andrew.guertin at uvm.edu> wrote:
> I have a few buildings that are not simply at ground level, and I can't
> find how to map them on the wiki.
>
> First off, a skywalk between two buildings. Nothing fancy, although it
> does go over a road.

building=yes
bridge=yes
layer=1

> Second, an underground building. Connects to other buildings that are at
> ground level and have basements.
>
> Third, a building with a courtyard, and a basement that also extends
> below the basement.
>
> Fourth a building that has been built into a cliff. At the top of the
> cliff, on top of the building, are roads and sidewalks and things.
>
> Fifth, a building on a hill, with entrances variously on the third,
> second, and first floor. One of the second floor entrances leads out
> onto a "green roof", which has grass planted on it and connects to the
> ground, but reaches out farther than the hill would naturally.
>
> Are there accepted ways to enter any of these buildings? If there's not
> an accepted way, any thoughts on what I should do?

the others are somewhat difficult - osm doesn't currently account for
them very well. as with most maps, it is based on the assumption that
'ground' is consistent, and everything is a flat, thin item on top of
it. until we think in a different paradigm, the instances you have
listed will be difficult and only achievable by tags which are rather
hacky in their nature (bridge, layer, level, etc.)

--
robin

http://tangleball.org.nz/ - Auckland's Creative Space
http://openstreetmap.org.nz/ - Open Street Map New Zealand