[OSM-talk] Underground / hovering buildings

M∡rtin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Thu Feb 17 16:35:26 GMT 2011

2011/2/16 Elizabeth Dodd <edodd at billiau.net>:
> On Tue, 15 Feb 2011 20:56:54 -0500
> Nathan Edgars II <neroute2 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Since giving long ground-level ways nonzero layers screws up every
>> place they cross another way, it seems clear what should be done.
>
> -1 is used for rivers commonly over long distances where traced and no
> idea where the bridges actually are.

this depends on the level of detail the map has. In the early days I
also found this quite often, while now with the mapping advancing this
gets less. I suggest to split the way at the situation where you apply
a layer tag to avoid these problems with long ways carrying a layer
tag.

> whether the river is at or below ground level is another opinion which
> varies in different environments

Yes, but I'd call subterranean rivers an exception. Usually rivers are
at ground level.

Cheers,
Martin