[OSM-talk] Why isn't any XAPI server available ?

Graham Jones grahamjones139 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 19 17:11:36 GMT 2011

I must admit that I didn't know that there was a working instance of TRAPI -
I thought it was just a proposal.
I tend to use xapi to get town or city sized chunks of OSM data, without any
clever processing - would TRAPI be better for this than XAPI, or is it
limited to smaller areas?

Graham.

On 19 February 2011 17:00, Maarten Deen <mdeen at xs4all.nl> wrote:

> Patrick Kilian wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>>  For simple map calls there is TRAPI[1]. As far as  I know, TRAPI performs
>>> much better on map (bbox) queries than either the main-API, XAPI or ROMA
>>> (on
>>> equivalent hardware). Rather than using a database, I think it used a
>>> pre-tiled file structure, so that it simple needs to peace together a
>>> bunch
>>> of tiles, rather than do a full search in a db, which massively reduced
>>> the
>>> disk seeks necessary.
>>>
>> You point out several points which are correct but not very well known.
>> TRAPI exists, feeds the tiles at home clients, uses a pre-tiled structure
>> directly in the file system and is rather fast. Not clue why it is
>> ignored so often.
>>

> Well, for one thing it does not do element predicates, and it only gives
> small areas.
>
> Regards,
> Maarten

Graham Jones