[OSM-talk] Zero tolerance on imports

SomeoneElse lists at mail.atownsend.org.uk
Sun Feb 20 10:54:50 GMT 2011

Frank Steggink wrote:
> I believe the average community opinion is more like: imports _are_
> welcome, but _only_ if there are no better alternatives, and _only_ if
> a strict set of guidelines is followed (for example _not_ deleting
> better quality user contributed data).

I think that historical messages here show that there IS a majority
anti-import stance in the community, but that's mainly because your two
important provisos aren't often followed.

However, surely we're missing the important point here - that someone
had "hours of work obliterated" by another person?  There's a lesson
that we can all take from this - to better respect other mappers' work
and to try and understand what they're trying to do and how they're
trying to do it.  That might be by respecting "no import" or "no
tracing" zones or it might be by working together in other ways - but we
have to try and work with and not against each other on this.

Cheers,
Andy