[OSM-talk] Zero tolerance on imports

Serge Wroclawski emacsen at gmail.com
Sun Feb 20 15:57:55 GMT 2011

On Sun, Feb 20, 2011 at 4:44 AM, Daniel Sabo <danielsabo at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Maybe you don't like it, but you are not the entire OSM community.

>> David, how would you propose to measure consensus from the OSM community?
>
> I assume you were replying to me? At present I think it's pretty much impossible: e.g. the license debate :). We just don't have enough OSMers on one communication channel to make real policy about these things, so I expect were stuck with the Wikipedia model right now where the few people with enough technical knowledge to revert things try to police everyone else.

Yes, my mistake (re: your name).

I've been thinking about this communication issue and am working on a
technical solution. If you know Ruby or if others who do want to help,
I've forked a copy of the ruby port and have been working on
something- it's just not on the top of my list at this moment, but it
could be with others.

Or a sprint during SOTM EU?

> Really it should be the importer making those fixes if at all possible, so personally I would be much faster to revert things.

That's fair. I think as a community we're hesistant to revert changes
since things like that can end up in an edit war. I think a better
communication system could help here.

> If we could email back someone their changesets as an OSM file and say "it was nice of you to try importing this but could you not erase that lake over on the left?" I think we could even do it without chasing too many would be importers away.

That's another thing I think we need, along with communication- a tool
do incrementally edit a changeset based on a previous changeset, and
or at least track those lineages. Eg I make a changeset, and you "fix"
it, and there's a tag that says something like "based_on" with a
changeset ID.

> A major limitation is also that there's really no way to collaborate on something like this without dumping it into the main map.

I wrote an email about this to talk-us about a year ago. Want me to dig it up?

- Serge