[OSM-talk] Zero tolerance on imports

Daniel Sabo danielsabo at gmail.com
Sun Feb 20 23:47:29 GMT 2011

On Feb 20, 2011, at 3:16 PM, Felix Hartmann wrote:

> Couldn't agree more to it. Imports kill community and scare novices away.
> Most important things for OSM are good aerial photos coupled with large community. Worst are imports. The United States are so bad, I don't think OSM will ever become important there. The biggest thing to remember is that "creating" something is much more fun than correcting it. Imports make OSM a chore and no fun.

As a former novice I completely disagree with you here. If the TIGER import hadn't happened I would have had zero interest in OSM, a vast empty map is not very inspiring.

But really, no one here has hard data, whenever we say "it destroys the community" or "it helps the community"  we're just throwing anecdotes at each other. What we need are better tools to build a community like Serge and Kevin are talking about, a dozen of us arguing on a mailing list about what 360k people "really want" isn't going to accomplish much.

- Daniel