[OSM-talk] Zero tolerance on imports

Peter Wendorff wendorff at uni-paderborn.de
Tue Feb 22 08:46:31 GMT 2011

Am 22.02.2011 00:10, schrieb Peter Budny:
> I would be naive to think that I have all the answers, or even some of
> them.  It's a lot easier to point out problems than to solve them.
> However, you were kind enough to ask, so let me try to do some
> brainstorming:
>
> [..]

> Here's another issue that ought to be much easier to solve, but hasn't
> been: the relation analyzer.
> http://ra.osmsurround.org/analyze.jsp?relationId=36947
> That particular relation follows the "correct" practice of using
> role=(blank)/forward/backward, but even this isn't recognized by the
> analyzer.  What it ought to show is just two chunks: from point A to B,
> and from point B to A.  With the current display, how is one supposed to
> figure out if relation is completed or not?
+1
Should not be very difficult to solve - but anyone has to do it.
> What about GPS tracks... how does one deal with those?  The only
> interface I know is to click on "GPS Traces" from the slippy map, but
> that just gives me a list, and shows every trace in the whole world.  I
> only want to see traces for the region I'm looking at, like "show me
> every GPS track within 100m of this highway".
+2
Support of GPS tracks in OSM is very basic, I think.
Selecting GPS tracks by a set of tags is not possible, too, I think.
There even is no set of tags to apply as a "standard". That leads to a
situation where it's not possible to say "give me traces recorded by
car/cycling/walking".
> I see there's a wiki page on change monitoring, but it doesn't look like
> there's anything very sophisticated.  Perusing the history when there
> are so many edits that are -180 to 180 is a big turn-off.  If mappers
> are supposed to watch their hometown for changes, shouldn't they be
> given tools to do that with?
Try OWL for that: http://matt.dev.openstreetmap.org/owl_viewer/
It's a tile-based RSS-Feed-Generator. You can subscribe for a set of
predefined tiles and get every changeset inside that area(s) as RSS-Feed.
> Like I said, this is just brainstorming.  I'm sure other users also have
> ideas for tools that would make the editing process a lot less tedious,
> without even touching on the topic of automated edits.  Tools like these
> can benefit everyone (unlike a discussion on how to tag lumber yards or
> hotdog carts or whatever the question du jour is).
You are completely right.
The problem is: We miss developers with enough time and motivation to
create these tools, and that's a problem not possible to solve by
writing an email.

Don't miss the point here: It's a good first step to identify what kind
of tools are missing; but there is no automatic-tool-creator.

Feel free to learn programming, to find people who want to do some of
these tools. Or feel free to wait if anyone starts himself after reading
your mail.

regards
Peter