[OSM-talk] Does Libya deserves emergency mapping?

Jean-Guilhem Cailton jgc at arkemie.com
Thu Feb 24 16:09:07 GMT 2011

Of course yes, Libya does deserve emergency mapping.
This had been discussed in the H.O.T. mailing list, but making the
broader audience here aware of it could indeed be helpful. See the
thread starting at:
http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/hot/2011-February/000547.html

Calls for help have been made from Libya to humanitarian NGOs. The Red
Cross, for example, has planned missions to Libya. They can usually use
OpenStreetMap maps, when they are of sufficient quality.

This might be a problem currently with OSM data for Libya. The positive
side is that it should be relatively easy to improve it very significantly.

There is indeed now high resolution Bing imagery of Tripoli, Benghazi
and Khoms areas. (Sometimes, very high resolution). Roads and streets
can be traced in these areas.

I am not aware of other high resolution imagery currently available.

Public domain maps from the Perry-Castaneda Library Map Collection could
also be useful, for example for tracing roads in combination with medium
resolution imagery, in areas where only Landsat imagery is available,
from Yahoo or Bing (I've found Yahoo version more readable in some
places). Or for locating place names - Wikipedia can also be very useful
for finding the current names from the old Italian names.
http://www.lib.utexas.edu/maps/libya.html

The hashtag #OSMapLibya had been proposed for mapping coordination via
the Twitter social network, with the intent of eliciting local
knowledge, and pointers to OpenStreetBugs for easy input, but this
hasn't taken so far.

The #hot IRC channel on irc.oftc.net is of course available for chatting.

Thanks. Best wishes,

Jean-Guilhem

Le 24/02/2011 16:10, Ch. Rogel a écrit :

> Being not involved in Lybian events, except by political interest, I
> find it strange that no move for an emergency mapping has risen yet as
> it has for Ivory Coast.
>
> Same problem : no international call for helping populations, but a
> predictable disaster.
>
> Mapping Tripoli, Benghazi and Khoms from Bing is possible and enough
> former inhabitants have fled to our countries.
>
> Is there any other imagery?
>
> A few information here :
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/WikiProject_Libya
>
> Ch Rogel