[OSM-talk] rendering map tiles with mapnik - hardware requirements

Richard Weait richard at weait.com
Mon Feb 28 21:22:09 GMT 2011

On Mon, Feb 28, 2011 at 4:00 PM, Robin Paulson <robin.paulson at gmail.com> wrote:
> we at OSM New Zealand are looking at rendering our own (NZ-only)
> tiles, and we'd like to get a rough idea of the hardware requirements
> we will need
>
> are there any rules of thumb for how long it would take to render a
> given lat/lon bbox, using mapnik?
>
> i assume lat/lon is the independent variable, although i guess
> density/complexity of data will affect things as well.
>
> disk space, cpu, ram, time would be useful

It depends.  These two metatiles rendered in 18 seconds and 1.5
seconds.  So it can be all over the place depending.  This box is busy
doing other things too.

http://weait.com:8080/map/shield.html?zoom=6&lat=-41.73199&lon=173.35156&layers=BFF

zooming in to CHCH metatiles were well under a second.

You can get by with a modest box as long as you don't mind waiting and
have little load.  OSM has a monster with 96GB ram and many fast disks
in RAID.  You can probably keep a good size group happy with

a quad core
8 GB ram
1 TB of disk

And the faster you can make your disks the better, as per Frederik's
presentation at SotM last year.

Best regards,
Richard