[OSM-talk] Nominatim & US places

Toby Murray toby.murray at gmail.com
Mon Jan 3 21:24:34 GMT 2011

On Mon, Jan 3, 2011 at 3:12 PM, Kurt Roeckx <kurt at roeckx.be> wrote:
> Having a node to indicate the center of a town/city/... can be
> useful too, even if you already have a boundary for it.

It seems like duplicate information to me. Like mapping a walmart with
both a building outline tagged as a shop and a point in the middle
tagged the same way. What do you define as the "center" of a town? If
it is just the centroid of the border polygon then this can be
determined from the boundary. If you mean the central business
district or town hall, then that should be mapped appropriately with
landuse and building polygons.

Toby