[OSM-talk] Nominatim & US places

Richard Welty rwelty at averillpark.net
Mon Jan 3 23:45:52 GMT 2011

On 1/3/11 6:25 PM, Kurt Roeckx wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 03, 2011 at 03:24:34PM -0600, Toby Murray wrote:
>> On Mon, Jan 3, 2011 at 3:12 PM, Kurt Roeckx<kurt at roeckx.be>  wrote:
>>> Having a node to indicate the center of a town/city/... can be
>>> useful too, even if you already have a boundary for it.
>> It seems like duplicate information to me. Like mapping a walmart with
>> both a building outline tagged as a shop and a point in the middle
>> tagged the same way. What do you define as the "center" of a town? If
>> it is just the centroid of the border polygon then this can be
>> determined from the boundary. If you mean the central business
>> district or town hall, then that should be mapped appropriately with
>> landuse and building polygons.
> The center is ussually a market place or the church or something
> like that.  It's ussually where the oldest building are and the
> rest was build around it.  It has nothing to do with the centre
> of the admin level boundary, but might be the center of one
> of the various landuses.  It's the place where I expect the
> name of the place to be on the map.  It's not always a very
> specific place, but ussually a rather small area.

it's still duplication. what i'd suggest is perhaps a "centroid" role
in the boundary relation, which can be a node representing
the mythical "center" of the bounded area.

what i see a bit right now in the US are places where we have
a central node from one import and a boundary with the same
name from another, and as a result two names showing up.
it's mildly annoying.

richard