[OSM-talk] Nominatim & US places

john at jfeldredge.com john at jfeldredge.com
Tue Jan 4 03:28:47 GMT 2011

It makes sense to me to label the administrative center, if any, as well as the geometric centroid of the town polygon.  It is not unusual for a town to expand more in one direction than another, particularly if is near a natural barrier such as a mountain range Orr a lake.  Note that towns don't necessarily have their own administrative center; where I live (Nashville, Tennessee, USA), there is a metropolitan government (a merger of the Nashville city government and county government) that administers most of Davidson County), but a few communities have chosen to have their own local government.