[OSM-talk] no map data available for chilean map

Craig Wallace craigw84 at fastmail.fm
Sun Jan 9 15:51:30 GMT 2011

On 09/01/2011 15:09, Felipe Edwards wrote:
> Hi
> I have a garmin 1490t with europe navteq map as default.
> I regularly use the chilean .img file from geofabrik. It let me route
> and search cities, but i can´t search for addresses. When i try a pop up
> message cames out saying "no map data available"
> can anyone help me?
> i tried everything, even reset the gps to original settings
> thanks
> fec

Are you sure you mean Geofabrik, I didn't think they provided any maps
in Garmin format?

Anyway, this is a known issue with Mkgmap, the software used for
generating most Garmin format OSM maps. The Garmin img format is not
fully understood, so its not known how to make the address search work
properly. It seems it works on some Garmin devices but not others. See
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Mkgmap/known_issues

I don't know if this has been improved in more recent versions of
Mkgmap. I see Mkgmap now has an option "--index" which creates MDR and
MDX index files, for address search in Mapsource, but I don't know if
you can transfer these to the GPS device.
There is also the option for "--road-name-pois" which will create a POI
for each road, which you can then search for. The problem with this is
it creates lots of ugly dots everywhere, and it clutters up the POI
search with road names.
You could try generating some maps with these options and see if they help.

Craig