[OSM-talk] highway=unsurfaced

Gorm E. Johnsen osmlist at gorm.cc
Sun Jan 9 16:28:14 GMT 2011

Hi

Today there is >5500 ways with highway=unsurfaced
(Taginfo<http://taginfo.openstreetmap.de/tags/highway=unsurfaced>).
They seem to be evenly spread over the planet and was
depreciated<http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Deprecated_features>almost
three years ago.

I would like to replace them with something better. I was thinking
highway=road + surface=unpaved.

Do you agree that we should replace highway=unsurfaced? If not, please write
a few words why you don't think we should.

Is there a better alternative than highway=road? I have seen 'uncurfaced'
described as unclassified and track, but they both somewhat indicate more
detail tan just 'road' does.

Is there a better alternative than surface=unpaved? Maybe we could use
surfaced=unsurfaced to, for what its worth, conserve the old highway value?
What should be done if there is a surface tag already? Overwrite? Or move to
surface_old (or something)?

I would use XAPI and JOSM on about a continent at a time. Perhaps a bot is
better, but haven't looked into how that is done. If anyone else willing to
do it has a better tool to execute the edit, speak up.

best regards

-gormur