[OSM-talk] highway=unsurfaced

Chris Hill osm at raggedred.net
Sun Jan 9 18:47:03 GMT 2011

On 09/01/11 16:28, Gorm E. Johnsen wrote:
> Hi
>
> Today there is >5500 ways with highway=unsurfaced  (Taginfo
> <http://taginfo.openstreetmap.de/tags/highway=unsurfaced>). They seem
> to be evenly spread over the planet and was depreciated
> <http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Deprecated_features> almost three
> years ago.
>
> I would like to replace them with something better. I was thinking
> highway=road + surface=unpaved.
>
> Do you agree that we should replace highway=unsurfaced? If not, please
> write a few words why you don't think we should.
>
> Is there a better alternative than highway=road? I have seen
> 'uncurfaced' described as unclassified and track, but they both
> somewhat indicate more detail tan just 'road' does.
>
> Is there a better alternative than surface=unpaved? Maybe we could use
> surfaced=unsurfaced to, for what its worth, conserve the old highway
> value?
> What should be done if there is a surface tag already? Overwrite? Or
> move to surface_old (or something)?
>
> I would use XAPI and JOSM on about a continent at a time. Perhaps a
> bot is better, but haven't looked into how that is done. If anyone
> else willing to do it has a better tool to execute the edit, speak up.
>
> best regards
>
> -gormur
Please don't make a global change to this either by hand or with a bot,
you risk making 5499 mistakes which you won't find because you won't
visit the sites to correct it, yet it will look superficially correct.
Find a way to highlight these and let *local* mappers investigate and
change these to appropriate tags. It will take longer but the end
results will be much better.

--
Cheers, Chris
user: chillly