[OSM-talk] New user mistakenly nuking things

Toby Murray toby.murray at gmail.com
Mon Jan 10 02:14:22 GMT 2011

Well I just went ahead and did it with the JOSM plugin. I think the
desired effect was achieved.

Turns out he thought he was just making changes to a local copy of the
data but was actually uploading the changes to the server. The
changeset tags indicate he was using mapzen beta. Does that have
offline .osm editing capabilities?

The project is to make a map that will be useful to disabled
individuals at Kansas State University. He wants to add information
about stops that the Disabled student services bus makes but he thinks
this may not be appropriate for adding to the OSM database because it
isn't really a public service. Hence he was trying to edit data
locally to add these stops and remove nodes that he doesn't want
rendered (like recycling bins and bicycle parking). I Think I will
work with him to come up with a custom Maperitive ruleset to get what
he wants. At least for starters. It seems like a pretty easy rendering
setup for someone who isn't an IT professional. Ideally I could
convince my university to use OSM for the official campus map (I'm
trying to do this) and then the disability amenities could be one of
several available layers on the official campus slippy map. It's good
to have a dream, right?

Thanks for the advice.

Toby