[OSM-talk] address parsing by nominatim

Daniel Kastl daniel at georepublic.de
Mon Jan 10 02:36:03 GMT 2011

2011/1/10 Elizabeth Dodd <edodd at billiau.net>

> On Sun, 9 Jan 2011 20:15:46 +0100
> M∡rtin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > 2011/1/9 ヴィカス ヤダヴァ (vikas yadav) <mevikas at gmail.com>:
> > > I surveying from Northern India. I studied how addresses are to be
> > > tagged in order so nominatim can locate it. That went great. The
> > > problem is the every house has to be tied to a street (addr:street).
> > > 1) We don't have names for living streets
> >

> > are you sure you are talking about living streets or do you mean
> > residential streets?
> >

> > > 2) We so many times have blocks or sectors (tagged as locality or
> > > hamlet)
> >

> > locality should be used for uninhabited places
> >

> > sorry, that I cannot help you with your original problem.
> >
> > cheers,
> > Martin
> >

> Martin's reply highlights a problem with the eurocentric version of a
> place hierarchy in OSM - it doesn't fit India.

Not only India, also other countries such as Japan have a block address
system, which for example doesn't match with how openaddresses collects data
at the moment.
Here some good explanation: http://sivers.org/jadr

Such a block address system actually has some advantages as well. You don't
have to know the house number to be able to know about where the address is
located. You can take the center point of the block polygon as well and it
will usually be a good approach. With long streets this is usually not
possible.

Daniel

Georepublic UG & Georepublic Japan
eMail: daniel.kastl at georepublic.de