[OSM-talk] address parsing by nominatim

Gregory Arenius gregory at arenius.com
Mon Jan 10 10:04:15 GMT 2011

It sounds like the current set of tags and structures in OSM don't properly
support what you're trying to do at the moment.  I think the best way to
deal with it would to propose some new tags so that these type of addressing
schemes can be properly supported in OSM with supporting documentation.

It sounds like you need some sort of block or sector tag you could set on
areas to define them properly.  A couple of other tags for addressing like
addr:block and addr:sector could then be added.

It would definitely take some time before they get supported by the
renderers and routers but I think that since a good sized chunk of the world
uses these types of addressing systems we should have an explicit way to
deal with them instead of trying to shoehorn them into a more European
system.  It will make it easier for mappers there to do things properly and
probably also make things work more reliably.

I don't have the experience with this type addressing to feel comfortable
doing any of that but if you put something up on the wiki people can use and
work on it.

Cheers,
Greg