[OSM-talk] highway=unsurfaced

David Murn davey at incanberra.com.au
Tue Jan 11 11:05:24 GMT 2011

On Mon, 2011-01-10 at 19:47 +0000, Tom Hughes wrote:
> On 10/01/11 19:00, john at jfeldredge.com wrote:
>
> > American usage would be to refer to that as a road, just not a very high-quality road.  I take it that, in Britain, there are certain minimum standards for being called a road?
>
> Nothing official, but it would be very unusual for anybody to call
> something that wasn't surfaced a road.

Crikey, dont let them see the Old Eyre Highway across southern
Australia, or the Outback Highway[1] across Central Australia.
Together over 3000km of highly travelled road, connecting the western
coast of the country to the central/eastern regions.

[1]http://www.exploroz.com/Forum/Topic/68546/Old_Eyre_Highway.aspx
[2]http://photos.travelblog.org/Photos/83309/397431/t/3801989-Outback-Highway-0.jpg

David