[OSM-talk] [OSM Fork] paths and roads and approval, oh my

NopMap ekkehart at gmx.de
Fri Jan 14 09:24:05 GMT 2011

Hi!

JohnSmitty wrote:

> NopMap is making the assertion that tags can't be altered once they
> start being used, but this isn't the case since abutters etc have
> already been deprecated in favour of other mapping methods/techniques.

No. I am making the assertion that the most important problems cannot be
solved by mass retagging, thus contradicting JohnSmittys earlier statement
that the "lack of a mass retagging policy was the weakness" rather than the
lack of an approval process.

You can only retag multiple used tags with the same meaning. This is the
simple case.

But you cannot retag a single tag with multiple used meanings. This is the
real problem we are having. A working approval process would preserve the
meaning of tags. Renaming already ambiguous tags is not helpful in any way.

I was further making the assertion that "Once an information is lost, it
remains lost" is a basic principle of information technology rather than a
policy or an opinion.

bye
                Nop