[OSM-talk] Contributing GIS Data to OSM

IT Intern itintern12 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 18 20:04:32 GMT 2011

Thanks again Serge!  I think for the most part that cleared everything up
:).  Only thing I'm still not so clear on is the tagging.

> Another question about this is that I
> am working in the U.S., but I would be importing data for a region in an
> another country.  Do I follow the tagging system of the U.S. or do I
follow
> that of the country I am importing for?

>They should be roughly the same. Can you give me a specific example of
>a difference?

When I look at the U.S. tagging format, I see key-value pairs.  The data I
want to map is in China.  When I go to the Hong Kong format I don't see the
same type of pairing as I do for the U.S. version...

> What if that country has different
> tagging systems for different regions and none listed for the region of my
> interest?

>They generally don't. If they do, use the local one.

The area I want to map in China is Tibet, not Hong Kong.  Should I just use
Hong Kong's version?  Or U.S. since I am in U.S.?

Again many thank you's,

elshae