[OSM-talk] Why I don't use JOSM (was Re: Non-map-based OSM editor)

andrzej zaborowski balrogg at gmail.com
Mon Jan 24 12:34:22 GMT 2011

On 24 January 2011 02:19, Anthony <osm en inbox.org> wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 23, 2011 at 7:19 PM, Vincent Pottier <vpottier en gmail.com> wrote:
>> Le 24/01/2011 00:25, Anthony a écrit :
>>>
>>> I'm not quite sure why, but I really don't like JOSM.  Of the four
>>> main editors (others being PL1, PL2, and Merkaartor), it's my least
>>> favorite.
>>
>> I realy don't understand why.
>
> I don't either, but I think it's because it's java.  And it's slow,
> eats up memory, and crashes (which I guess is redundant, as I've
> already said it's java).  And the yahoo background image quality
> sucks.  And the commands are non-intuitive.  And last I checked
> (though this may no longer be true) the support for relations sucks.

For the record it has never crashed on me for real yet.  It did have
unhandled exceptions in untested versions but that always still let me
save and/or upload my changes.  As you note it might be a windows java
thing (64bit linux java here).

I also honestly thought it was the first editor with non-sucky
relations support :)

Cheers