[OSM-talk] shortened names

Borbus borbus at gmail.com
Thu Jul 7 14:44:00 BST 2011

On 07/07/11 10:29, John Smith wrote:
> In some cases, the official name is with the abbreviation, eg St.
> George Bank in Australia and there is a town named St. George.

Yes.  I found one just today actually.  Ordnance Survey (national
mapping agency) record the name as "Upper St Giles Street".  The sign on
the road actually says "Upper St. Giles Street" (note incorrect
abbreviation, in British English, where the full stop is not used if the
abbreviation contains the first and last letter of the expansion).
Confusingly, there is also a "Saint Giles Street".  I went with "Upper
St Giles Street" because I cannot be sure that "Upper Saint Giles
Street" is the official name.

--
Borbus.