[OSM-talk] offering adapted databases

Steve Coast steve at asklater.com
Fri Jul 8 23:14:07 BST 2011

Lets say you make a map and someone wants the data.

First, are you acting in the spirit of the license? Let's assume yes.
That gets you 99% of the way there, despite your technical detail analysis.

Next, you don't have to make the database available. You can make the db
available, or the code.

Next, you could ship that with the work. So each paper map could carry a
cd with the code, or something.

Next, you could just put a dump or code snippet up somewhere. Storage
space is effectively free at this point, or dropping exponentially.

If linksys can distribute hundreds of millions of routers and maintain
GPL by sharing the code, surely you can too?

Steve