[OSM-talk] Commenting and thumbs up/down feature for changesets

Maarten Deen mdeen at xs4all.nl
Wed Jul 13 08:37:48 BST 2011

On Wed, 13 Jul 2011 09:18:48 +0200, Frederik Ramm wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 07/13/11 09:01, Steve Bennett wrote:
>> Did this changeset actually break any guidelines or policies? Is
>> there
>> anything wrong with it other than the fact that you don't personally
>> approve? Let's approach the problem in a spirit of long-term
>> sustainability, not short term witch-hunting.
>
> I think you're misinterpreting.
>
> Like/dislike buttons are quite common and they don't mean that anyone
> engages in a "witch hunt". They are just something that helps the
> collective to form an opinion - if something is liked by 50 and
> disliked by 50 then it is clear that the community is divided; if it
> is disliked by 100 then it is clear that this is not what the
> community approves of.
>
> Also, in case this hasn't become clear, I am not in favour of +1/-1
> buttons for *contributors*, but for individual *changesets*.

But you're still only voting for the comment in the changeset, right?
What does the comment do to invalidate the changeset? What is the
required course of action against users who typically add "bad" comments
(get voted down alot) but make otherwise good changes?

In other words: what is the added value. Which actions (if any) will be
taken based on this.

Maarten