[OSM-talk] Hitting reset on talk-au

Michael Collinson mike at ayeltd.biz
Wed Jul 13 08:46:21 BST 2011

On 13/07/2011 02:10, David Murn wrote:
> On Tue, 2011-07-12 at 10:16 +0100, Dave F. wrote:
>
>> On 11/07/2011 17:56, Mikel Maron wrote:
>>
>>> Everyone
>>>
>>> This thread was on the topic of the atmosphere of the Australian
>>> community and talk-au,
>>>
>>> -Mikel on behalf of Talk Moderators
>>>

>> Then, as a moderator, you should give Steve C. a warning for polluting
>> this general talk forum with irrelevant waffling.
>>
> Incase you havent learnt, the moderation is there to stop anyone else
> drowning out SteveC on the list.
>
> In one foul swoop, Richard has destroyed my interest in OSM.. 5 years of
> mapping contributions, code contributions, discussion contributions, and
> we get treated like this.  I have deleted all my accounts, all my
> subscriptions, and am in the process of deleting 12 months of GPX traces
> and OSM files that Ive built up from my round-australia travels, mostly
> on highways which have never been mapped, and wont be mapped unless
> someone else takes the week-long roadtrip.
>
> Some non aussies came onto the aussie list and stirred up a few big
> arguments, so you ban the aussies, rather than the international pests.
> What you should have done, was blocked everyone non-aussie from the
> list, or at least bothered to look at the history (or ask ANYONE) who
> uses the list.  Then, when a few people criticized him for his decision,
> he disappears.
>
> Seriously Richard, I hope you burn in hell for the destruction youve
> caused and continue to cause to the OSM project.
>
> David

Wow David!  From Toby's post, I assume this diatribe is in response to this:

http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk-au/2011-July/008350.html

Richard is a calm, thoughtful, intelligent guy who listens to people and tries to create a fun, global, human environment for our project.  Steve has made one post making a considered overview of an ugly situation and inviting discussion ... a proper course of action for the founder of our project to take.  I personally hope you will also calm down, withdraw unwarranted personal insults and consider apologising.  I don't like the idea of moderation much either, perhaps a reason why I have been asked to be one, but, paradoxically, this post rather comes across as a slam-dunk justification.

Mike