[OSM-talk] Hitting reset on talk-au

Steve Coast steve at asklater.com
Wed Jul 13 20:44:03 BST 2011

On 7/13/2011 2:58 AM, Nic Roets wrote:
>> Steve has
>> made one post making a considered overview of an ugly situation and inviting
>> discussion ... a proper course of action for the founder of our project to
>> take.
> Michael,
>
> If you carefully read Steve's post, you will see that some people may
> find it insulting. For example he is belittling Etienne's efforts.

Far from belittling, I've elevated his efforts to a direct threat to the
project in my mind.

>   He
> expresses a dislike of pseudonyms which may bring into question his
> motivation(s) for "resetting" the list.

I hadn't really thought about the pseudonym thing until a while ago when
someone sent around the 'poisonous people' talk video done I think at
google. One of their very first points is to note that trolls usually
use pseudonyms and if you can stop that then things can get a lot better.

Personally I'm very libertarian and would otherwise support using
pseudonyms. But sadly when it reaches the limit case where essentially
every troll is a pseudonym it's hard to justify it anymore.

Check out frontdoor - http://frontdoor.cloudapp.net/