[OSM-talk] Commenting and thumbs up/down feature for changesets

SomeoneElse lists at mail.atownsend.org.uk
Mon Jul 18 13:21:12 BST 2011

On 18/07/2011 12:15, M∡rtin Koppenhoefer wrote:
> Unless this person has surveyed the 1350 pubs he doesn't add any
> information, because you can already see from the data that the toilet
> is inside a pub. There might be pubs which consent general use (not
> very probable, but in 1350 pubs this might be possible) in which case
> the edit not only was pointless but actually added wrong information.

There are schemes in the UK in which businesses are encouraged by local
authorities to allow non-customers to use their facility.  There is one
in London, although the London local authority's website doesn't mention
that it includes any pubs.  However, I believe that there are schemes
elsewhere in the UK that do.

> the timestamp suggests that someone verified the existence of the pub,

Unfortunately there are too many armchair mappers in OSM for that to be
a reasonable assumption these days (although to be fair that's more of
an issue with roads, road alignment, and landuse than pubs).  In the
case of an obviously armchair edit like this one I'd read back down the
history to the last "real" edit.

My 2p would try and persuade more people to use source tags (and
tag:source tags) so that it's easier to work out where stuff has
actually come from.

Cheers,
Andy