[OSM-talk] Commenting and thumbs up/down feature for changesets

Anthony osm at inbox.org
Mon Jul 18 13:51:56 BST 2011

On Mon, Jul 18, 2011 at 7:15 AM, M∡rtin Koppenhoefer
<dieterdreist at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2011/7/13 Dave F. <davefox at madasafish.com>:
>> On 11/07/2011 22:42, Frederik Ramm wrote:
>>>   I just stumbled across a changeset where someone helpfully added a
>>> "toilet:access=customers" to 1350 pubs in the Greeater London area (thereby
>>> adding no information but freshening the time stamp of the objects, giving
>>> the cursory visitor the impression that the pub might actually have been
>>> resurveyed which it very likely hasn't).
>
>> This is a perfectly acceptable addition which does add information - that
>> it's not a public toilet. You can't just walk in of the street to spend a
>> penny.
>

> -1
> Unless this person has surveyed the 1350 pubs he doesn't add any
> information, because you can already see from the data that the toilet
> is inside a pub.

Or it could be an import.

>> Why is it a problem getting time-stamped? If it doesn't, how would anybody
>> know it's been edited & able to verify it?
>

> the timestamp suggests that someone verified the existence of the pub
> but in the case of this edit you can absolutely not tell whether that
> pub existed at the time the edit was performed, as all pubs were
> tagged (e.g. a pub which was closed 2 years ago still seems to be open
> as of 2011).

You can never tell whether the pub existed at the time the edit was
performed.  The timestamp of the edit merely suggests that someone
verified the existence of the pub *at some time prior to the
timestamp*.

You don't have to edit OSM from your cell phone while sitting on the
toilet you're editing.