[OSM-talk] shortened names

Stephen Hope slhope at gmail.com
Wed Jul 27 03:04:00 BST 2011

On 27 July 2011 10:40, Ed Loach <ed at loach.me.uk> wrote:
> Yes, it is called Saint Albans, written St Albans, except where some
> websites seem to have expanded it.
>
> e.g.
> http://www.meteoprog.co.uk/en/weather/SaintAlbans/
> http://www.gomapper.com/travel/map-of/saint-albans.html
> etc...
> http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=%22saint+albans%22
>
> I personally would be tempted to store the name tag in expanded form
> so it is clear what the St abbreviation applies to (I've seen things
> like S St N on Google where they've abbreviated South Street North,
> for example, which just looks silly). This seems to agree with
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:name#Notes

Um - no.  If a place wants to be written "St Albans", then that's the
name. Just because you pronounce it "Saint Albans" makes no
difference.

If they'd just shortened it for some signs to save space (like street,
road etc), then I'd agree with you.  But if they want the proper name
to be St Albans, not Saint Albans, we should respect that. If it is
how the name is officially spelt, then it's not an abbreviation, even
if it looks and sounds like one.

Stephen