[OSM-talk] shortened names

David Earl david at frankieandshadow.com
Wed Jul 27 11:50:45 BST 2011

In just doing some web searching, I came across this UK Government
document...

http://www.pcgn.org.uk/UK%20Toponymic%20Guidelines.pdf

which has lots of references to OS lists of standards and conventions.

While St Albans isn't big enough to feature in the list in this
document, it does have "St. Helens" (sic). Why the period? The district
council's website http://www.sthelens.gov.uk/ also has it with a period
(St Albans, http://www.stalbans.gov.uk/ , does not).

OSM has it as "Saint Helens", which is arguably wrong.

We also have St Davids as "St David's" which I think is also probably
wrong (certainly not how their gov.uk website has it) even before
getting into the English/Welsh debate.

We all seem to agree on St Austell (Cornwall), Ottery St Mary, Chalfont
St Peter.

Here is one of the more challenging areas in the UK in this respect:
http://osm.org/go/0ERdlvp--

David