[OSM-talk] shortened names

David Earl david at frankieandshadow.com
Wed Jul 27 12:13:26 BST 2011

On 27/07/2011 11:58, John Smith wrote:
> On 27 July 2011 20:50, David Earl<david at frankieandshadow.com>  wrote:
>> While St Albans isn't big enough to feature in the list in this document, it
>> does have "St. Helens" (sic). Why the period? The district council's website
>
> The period after St. is the correct way in English to abbreviate
> Saint, where as the abbreviation of street doesn't have a period.

Hmm. OK, then reverse the question. Why do so many places including St
Albans not use the a period? Could it be as Richard and I were saying
that St is now an accepted spelling of the word which means a beatified
person rather than being just an abbreviation. Like "laser" and arguably
"email" are words now.

David