[OSM-talk] shortened names

M∡rtin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Wed Jul 27 18:22:33 BST 2011

2011/7/27 Kay Drangmeister <kay at drangmeister.net>:
> Am 27.07.2011, 12:01 Uhr, schrieb Richard Fairhurst <richard at systemed.net>:
>>
>> every native English speaker would
>> pronunce St in that context as 'saint'. That, to me, is a pretty
>> conclusive
>> argument that we should tag "St".
>
> Alas, and in German "St" abbreviates "Sankt" (which also means by chance
> Saint).
> So you can conclusively say for each place if it's the english or the german
> Abbreviation? Not to mention other countries with multiple languages.

In Italian "S." can mean "San", "Sant'" and "Santa", "Ss." can mean
"Santi" and "Santissimo"/"Santissima"/"Santissimi"/"Santissime"
because you have to care for gender, grammatical number and if the
name starts with a vowel. I guess dealing automatically with this is
not completely impossible but it certainly requires some effort (not
to mention if you wanted to apply different rules for all languages
that occur in the planet).

cheers,
Martin