[OSM-talk] Use of official names Re: shortened names

M∡rtin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Thu Jul 28 14:09:27 BST 2011

2011/7/28 Colin Smale <colin.smale at xs4all.nl>:
> It sounds like there are three types of street name:
> 1) Official, as decided by the Powers That Be
> 2) Signed, as displayed on the signs
> 3) Colloquial, as people habitually use
>
> So which one do we put in "name=*", and what do we do with the others?

1) should generally be "name" if there is not good reason not to do
this (i.e. nobody uses this official name, then you put it in
"official_name" and use "name" for the one that's used)
2) some people use "visible_name" for this, of course you'd omit it if
identical to "name"
3) there is various tags in use for this, e.g. "loc_name", "alt_name",
"reg_name", "nat_name"

see also http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Name

cheers,
Martin