[OSM-talk] Commenting and thumbs up/down feature for changesets

Serge Wroclawski emacsen at gmail.com
Thu Jul 28 21:11:36 BST 2011

On Mon, Jul 25, 2011 at 4:33 AM, Steve Bennett <stevagewp at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 25, 2011 at 5:41 PM, Frederik Ramm <frederik at remote.org> wrote:
>> This is however orthogonal to the changeset-based messaging that I have
>> suggested. If I want to say something about a specific changeset, it should
>> be possible to attach my comment to that changeset instead of having to make
>> a general localised note for the area in question, saying "I don't think
>> changeset #12345 was a good idea...".
>
> Commenting on changesets would be good, but it also needs to be easier
> to find those changesets, and link that up with other accumulated
> local knowledge. I can't really picture how such an interface would
> work, but the idea would to be easily see "what's been going on" in
> the area you're looking at, participate in conversations about stuff
> (individual objects, imagery, changesets...)

My motivation wasn't voting, but using the changesets as a sort of
flexible discussion system. You could see a communication stream via a
bbox.

> The experience on Wikipedia is that reverting a changeset is a pretty
> offensive action to take, requiring great care. If "-1" is a vote for
> reversion, then presumably equal care ought to be exercised. And IMHO
> a better option is to discuss the change, rather than to simply vote
> it down. "Hey, are you sure about tagging these as tracks, they look
> like walking paths to me?" builds community better than "-1".

I concur. I think voting often leads to bad things. Flagging
changesets might be useful, with some kind of metamoderation, but /as
things stand today/, I think this goes against the spirit of the
project because "Who decided whose a moderator".

- Serge