[OSM-talk] shortened names

Stephen Hope slhope at gmail.com
Fri Jul 29 05:22:20 BST 2011

On 28 July 2011 21:52, Brian Quinion <openstreetmap at brian.quinion.co.uk> wrote:

> Now that said I don't really care which tag is used for the 'full'
> name.  I'd personally prefer the name tag was used for this because it
> has always been the policy of OSM that the name tag includes the full
> unabbreviated name.  Really - this has been one of the few points of
> (until recent conversation) agreement.

The argument here is what the full unabbreviated name is.  You seem to
think it is Saint Albans.  The town says it is St Albans.  It's their
name, we shouldn't mess with it.  The St in this case is *not* an
abbreviation, it's an alternate spelling.  The name tag should have
the official name, not some expanded version because it's easier for
us.

I would add "Saint Albans" as an alt_name.

Stephen