[OSM-talk] How to deal with versioning

Nigel Magnay nigel.magnay at gmail.com
Wed Jun 1 16:25:39 BST 2011

> How can we deal with this situation? Do we need to look at distributed
> version control in software development? How can methods of DVC be
> adapted to deal with distributed spatial data maintenance?

Tag each object additionally with a changeset ID (e.g: a timestamp or a
sequence number). That way you can see the history of a group of changes,
and do sensible conflict resolution.

In the case of imports (where you know the previous changeset ID), you can
then probably do a considerable amount of automatic conflict resolution.