[OSM-talk] Bandwidth limit/IP blocking - Error 303 on the OSM API?

Jaak Laineste jaak.laineste at gmail.com
Sun Jun 5 19:46:01 BST 2011

Hi,

 this reminded me an issue what I've had twice - I had made two
sessions of hands-on trainings for OSM, with about 30-40 computers in
a classroom. In both cases when they started to do actual data
download/editing, then last ones were rejected from API calls. Perhaps
just as we were under same IP address. You can imagine that having
this technical issue in front of the all the leading geography
teachers of our country can be quite embarrassing.

 Is there a procedure or contact to register an IP for temporary
higher load for such cases?

Jaak

2011/6/2 Grant Slater <openstreetmap at firefishy.com>:
> On 2 June 2011 03:42, David Murn <davey at incanberra.com.au> wrote:
>> On Wed, 2011-06-01 at 22:18 +0100, Tom Hughes wrote:
>>
>>> Yes, you got blocked on 16th May by the looks of it. I don't think I did
>>> it so it was probably one of my colleagues.
>>
>> Is there not some sort of audit trail or changelog for when users get
>> blocked?
>>

> Yes, there is an internal sysadmin audit trail.
>
>> I think it would be useful if one could find out if theyre blocked or if
>> there is some other server problem, without having to ask on the mailing
>> list.
>>

> API...
> "HTTP Error 403 - Forbidden" connection have been blocked. This is
> used on mass downloaders who degrade the API for mappers. [*]
> "HTTP Error 509 - Bandwidth Limit Exceeded" requested excessive
> amounts of data in a short period. Automatically removed after dropped
> below threshold.
>
> API + WWW served an average of 2529965 requests per day for May 2011.
>
> Tiles downloads are auto-magically slowed down after reaching a high
> threshold. Number of IP addresses currently being slowed down:
> http://munin.openstreetmap.org/openstreetmap/konqi.openstreetmap/squid_delay_pools.html
> Tile downloads are normally in excess of 1000 per second.

>>> Use the full history dump, as somebody has already suggested.
>>
>> Also, you can use the daily/minutely diffs if you want to keep up with
>> 'real-time' map edits.
>>

> Yes. The replication diffs contain all the changes applied for the period.
>
> *: There is also an ancient release of JOSM blocked which flips
> lat/lon coordinates.
>
> Regards
>  Grant

Jaak Laineste