[OSM-talk] Slim mode in osm2pgsql and out of memory error

Martijn van Oosterhout kleptog at gmail.com
Thu Jun 9 07:49:17 BST 2011

On 9 June 2011 08:38, Saphy Mo <saphyfar at yahoo.com> wrote:
> The file is the same Europe.osm.bz2 directly downloaded from geofabrik. I
> will decomprese it and try to see the order of Nodes, Ways and relation.
> But the error happens while pending_ways query.

It occurs to me you can see this during import, by seeing which
counters go up first.

The reason that this is a problem is that in a normal import while
importing the nodes there are no way so pending_ways is empty. Since
yours is not empty the question is why. There are two possibilities:

1. The database wasn't empty to start with, But with create mode that
seems unlikely.
2. The ways come before the nodes, which means all ways get marked as
pending when the nodes are imported. And it barfs on this query when
there are a lot of them.

Note you can als get a quick answer with just:

$ bzcat <file> |head

Have a nice day,