[OSM-talk] Join the OSMF !

Richard Fairhurst richard at systemed.net
Sat Jun 11 15:10:17 BST 2011

Frederik Ramm wrote:
> Graham Jones wrote:
>> In my day job I look after quite a few decision
>> making processes to help our organisation make difficult
>> decisions. I always say that I will have failed if at the end
>> of the day we have to resort to a vote to decide what to do
> That's good. But also remember that in your day job, it is very
> likely that the people who have to live with a decision in half a
> year will be more or less the same who have made the discussion,
> give and take a bit.

Indeed.

Remember, too, that in your day job, the people who have to _carry_out_ the
decision will do so because they're paid to. We don't do that. We can have
all the processes we like, but they make no difference if we don't actually
have skilled volunteers who are both able and willing to implement the
decisions.

That is why OSM is, and will remain, a do-ocracy.

I'll let you into a secret. The real power in OSM _isn't_ Steve's secret
portal in his basement. Nor even Fake Steve's. It's here:
http://svn.openstreetmap.org/ [1]

cheers
Richard

[1] well, ok, git too these days ;)