[OSM-talk] Poll on Governance, what constitutes news, wiki front page

TimSC mappinglists at sheerman-chase.org.uk
Mon Jun 13 14:41:46 BST 2011

Hi all,
cc Richard Fairhurst,

I recently created a poll on doodle about how decisions are taken in
OSM. I think this issue matters to many people. I put the poll in the
news section on the front page of the wiki, so we can get a decent turn
out and be able to draw some conclusions. Richard Fairhurst reverted
that edit with the reason 'This is not remotely news. It's one person's
hobbyhorse. By this reckoning I could post a "news" item every time I
ask a question on the mailing lists'. [1]

This issue not just one person's hobby horse - its an issue that is very
topical and very relevant. People actually bothered to vote, including
significant people in the community. This shows people care. Also, OSMF
is actively debating this issue and it would be invaluable to have some
empirical data. If there was some documentation on guidelines on what
constitutes news, Richard might have a point. (Admittedly some would
rather get on and map and I wish them all the best - I am by no means
stopping them.) It seems like the poll is going to be more valuable than
a dozen circular discussions on the mailing lists...

So I ask any interested parties and Richard: please respond with a
definition of what constitutes "news" and/or some reasoning that it is
"one person's hobbyhorse", otherwise I will revert you back. Also if you
want to raise awareness of the poll, I would appreciate some support
here! ;)

Regards,

TimSC

[1]