[OSM-talk] Bing Maps are amazing

SomeoneElse lists at mail.atownsend.org.uk
Mon Jun 13 16:57:31 BST 2011

On 13/06/2011 16:34, Stephan Knauss wrote:

> As long as MS wants to promote Silverlight using the OSM layer they
> should at least not silently fall back to another map. So either serve
> OSM with plain JS or tell the user it won't.

If you believe the news / rumour sites, they might not be insisting on
"Silverlight being the answer for everything" for ever:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13506_3-20069319-17/microsoft-speak-up-about-silverlight-in-windows-8/

I've never used Bing maps for anything much because it always seems a
bit too random - even now if I blindly click on the "more map styles"
link I see on the front page you get a wikipedia entry for Stonehenge
along with a crap quality map of it, and the information that it's
"11.58 miles to Pewsey".  The OSM April 1st map was logical by comparison.

Cheers,
Andy