[OSM-talk] Navigon to Sell OpenStreetMap POIs Packages for PNDs

Jonas Krückel jonasxk at googlemail.com
Tue Jun 14 14:29:21 BST 2011

Am 14.06.2011 um 14:29 schrieb davespod:

> http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/Navigon-Add-22-Million-POIs-To-SatNav-Devices--1060.php
>
> An interesting development. If I understand things correctly (and assuming
> CC-by-SA holds water for data), they can charge for these derived data sets,
> but they would still have to be CC-by-SA, and so anyone who bought one could
> then redistribute without charge. Does that sound right?

A note on this one for everyone not reading talk-de [1]:

Ulf Möller, who has been a member of the OSMF Board and is part of the LWG, had been given a test device by Navigon in order to check for correct attribution.
He was also asked by Navigon to distribute a text file [2] to the community which contains some basic information about how Navigon processes the data, links to download the packages for free (CC-BY-SA compliance AFAIK) and also instructions on how to install these files on a device.

> P.S. If they have de-duplicated these, as they claim, perhaps it is worth
> getting our hands on as a resource for cleaning up the database...

Well, it would be nice and we could certainly ask for it, but with CC-BY-SA only the end product falls under the license and not the processed data in between. Once we move on to ODbL however, this will change and we will get the much more interesting 'raw' data.

-- Jonas

[1] http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk-de/2011-June/086724.html
[2] http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk-de/attachments/20110612/4c4e868d/attachment.txt